Old wares, Antiques, Craft & Op shops

Monday, January 11, 2010

While my sisters were visiting, we decided to have a girls shopping day... our intention was to visit the little towns around here & look at their old wares, antique, craft & op shops. We are blessed to be surrounded by a lot of little towns & each one of them has at least one of these shops. We mapped out our intended course & set our bright & early (well not too early.. these Qlders were still dealing with the whole time difference) Thursday morning. We began with a visit to a craft shop in a gorgeous little town full of cottages & cute little shops. While visiting there we got chatting with the lady serving (this is something I always seem to do - I challenge myself to try & get even the sullenest person smiling - something I used to do with my patients way back when I was working), anyway we asked if there was any antique/old ware shops around... she grabbed some keys & told us that located right next door was one, but it wasn't manned, so wasn't kept open. Ladies, let me tell you as we walked in, we fell in love... this shop was chock full of beautiful old wares from all eras & at very cheap prices. Sel & I were so excited to find canning jars. We had been looking on the Internet for these, but at almost $5 each, couldn't justify buying them, so were pleased to find them for $10 a box - & lids as well!!


We bought 3 boxes!

Sel's favourite buy was some beautiful silverware. There was a lot of old silverware in the shop & if I wasn't being frugal, could have bought a whole lot of it!

I, however could not pass this beautiful plate for only $1. I am going to mount it on my kitchen wall.


It reads:

MY KITCHEN PRAYER:

Bless my little kitchen, Lord,

I love it's every nook,

And bless me as I do my work,

Wash pots and pans and cook

May the meals that I prepare,

Be seasoned from above,

With thy blessing and thy grace,

but most of all thy love.

As we partake of earthly food,

the table thou hast spread.

We'll not forget to thank thee Lord,

For all our daily bread.

So bless my little kitchen, Lord,

And those who enter in;

May they find naught but joy and peace

And happiness therein.

Amen

Just beautiful words!!!

(Sorry about the spacing... blogger is messing it up on me)

Although we visited other stores for the day, the hours we spent in that one was definitely a highlight! (Although converting our baby sister to op shop shopping was fun as well!)

One other find that week that I was so happy with was this:
Yes, I know it's a bucket, but when I saw it at a garage sale, I couldn't go past it. Never used & just perfect for a milking bucket (& at less than 1/5 of a price of a brand new one)!!!

Of course now I need to get the jersey cow to go with it!!!!

I hope you had a lovely weekend!

11 comments:

aunty sel said...

Thanks Narn,
I had a lovely time visiting you. It was so fantastic going op shopping. I can't wait to start canning!!!
I hope its not too hot where you are.
Luv to you all,
sel

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

Sounds like a very fun day!! My grandma had a plaque like that one too.
A jersey? Why not a holstein?
We use to dairy and had holstein with a few jerseys.

Kate said...

oooh I wish I could have come!! One fo my favourite ways to spend a day! xox

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

WOW GREAT goodies.
i love op shops sooooo much!
How great are those Jars and I too would get excited over the bucket,Not for milking in my case.

Grandma said...

Hi Narn, Lovely to see the pictures of the shopping trip....the girls certainly seemed to have a fun day out with you!! That's a very nice looking tablecloth under your bucket!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you could photograph it so we could all see the 'spiders' on it!!!
Hope the weather's cooling down a bit for you. It's funny you having 41 degree days, while the northern hemisphere is having their extended freeze. It's almost as though the earth's tilt has been adjusted slightly!!! We in the southern hemisphere have global warming, but those in the north may be questioning the sanity of those talking of it!!!!!!!!!!
Love you all
Lots of love, Mum xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Renata,

That sounds like a very EXCITING day. There is a real thrill to op-shopping; I think it is the feeling that if you really wanted it badly, you actually could buy anything in the shop. I regularly have dreams about it. Yes, that's true. xx Cath (Beautiful Life)

Ana Degenaar said...

That sounds so fun Renata, I love your finds, specially the jars since I am a jar saver myself... Love all that girl power!

Kath said...

My sister recently ordered the "Settlers" game. Have you played that one too?

Smilie girl said...

Looks like you girls found lots of great finds. The canning jars were great value and certainly will prove useful.
Hope the weather's cooler now for you and you weren't in the high fire risk areas.

peta said...

Hi Renata, Happy new year to you and your family.

I LOVE op shopping..I don't get to go as much as I would like to though..

debi9kids said...

Oh wow! I just LOVE antiquing! That shop sounds just wonderful and OMGOSH! Those jars are FANTASTIC!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin