Finally... Curly-tailed additions to our farmyard!

Monday, October 31, 2011

Over the last couple of years we've been entertaining notions of getting our own supply of bacon.  We've heard that true free-range bacon is beyond any doubt the tastiest of all the pork products available and so we were eager to keep our own pigs to guarantee a good, healthy diet to produce a nicer product (that is truly free-range)!  A little notice came in the local paper that someone was selling piglets at some nearby markets, so we rose early that Sunday morning ~ eager to get our order in before church.  We need not have worried ~ the man sold few piglets all day, however the early rising enabled us the guarantee of both a sow & a boar ~ instead of buying "Christmas dinner" ( as they were advertised) we purchased a plethora of future "Christmas dinners"!! 





Zai & Ellie have been the driving force behind the purchase of our furrowing friends ~ they have been so eager to get their own little business going, so we have handed the pig care completely over to them ~ the cleaning, the feeding, the loving.... you get it!!  They then intend to sell any offspring the pigs produce.  I am hoping over the years this will increase into lessons of genetics & breeding.   They are doing well considering they only have two piglets so far ~ they already have their first sale lined up!!  Of course one of the requirements is that we have as much meat as we need for free!



So Boris & Delores have quickly become much loved pets here  in the fortnight they've lived at beautiful Sunnyside. They are eternally happy & constantly appear to be smiling ~ makes you smile right along with them!  They were easily tamed with eggs (did you know that whole eggs are like lollies for pigs ~ they go crazy for them).  They now sniff you for eggs every time  you enter their paddock or pen! (No wonder they are happy ~ we are currently blessed with an excess of eggs!)

Why Boris & Delores???




They are named after the pigs in Footrot Flats of course!!!~ classical literature ( well um maybe not, but definitely very funny ~ and it has held even more giggles since we've moved onto the farm & had our own "footrot moments" !)

Pork, Bacon, Ham..... mmmm the years ahead hold so much tastiness!!
:) 

Joining in: 

Hope you are having a wonderful week ~ what's been the highlight for you?









15 comments:

Ruby Jean said...

Hello Renata,
My your kitchen is going to be smelling quite nice with all that Pork that's going to be getting fried up... : ) There is NOTHING like homegrown Pork Chops.. My husand smokes ours and they sure do come out mighty tasty... : )

Have a wonderful weekend

goatldi said...

This made me smile, thank you!

abba12 said...

Oh that sounds so good... don't suppose you guys sell bulk meat do you? I tried ordering from an online bulk meat farm once, and the meat was awful. Many others charge prices that I know are unreasonable for their free range meat. I'd love to buy bulk meat somewhere trustworthy.

One day I hope to have some pigs and chickens and stuff. Can't afford land in the places we have to live due to my disability though, unfortunately.

Unknown said...

What an exciting addition Renata! I love that you'll be raising your own piglets too!! We've tossed the idea around, but in the end we sadly don't have enough room here. I'm eager to hear about your free-ranging adventures and how you put these two to work :)

Jacinda Vandenberg said...

I grew up on a pig farm so this post brings back fond memories of chasing those squealy little things! Enjoy your bacon!

Corinne & Damo said...

Renata, you are a very brave lady to have your own pigs! wish that I was that brave :)
I think I will stick to our Sheep and Cows. Oh we have another brand new lamb today , 3 down 3 to go!
By the way I LOVE the music. xxoo

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Renata,
Congratulations!! I think you'll find that raising hogs is easy, cost effective (over buying organic pork) and rewarding!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Renata,
Congratulations!! I think you'll find that raising hogs is easy, cost effective (over buying organic pork) and rewarding!

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

We had a pig at the camp once and when we butchered it - YUMMY does not even come close!!! :)

Selina said...

Hi Narn,
So lovely to see your cute little piggies...the names are much better then those you had said the kiddies wanted ;-)
You must be happy as a pig in mud with those..(sorry nightshift brain has kicked in).
Luv,
sel

Anonymous said...

Hi I just found your blog and had to say hello. My name is Renate,
Born in Germany but live in US.
Wold be interesting to know how you got your name.

Renate

Nikki said...

I just wanted to say I love your music.Congratulations on your new additions.There is nothing close to fresh bacon that you raised yourself.

Nikki said...

I just wanted to say I love your music.Congratulations on your new additions.There is nothing close to fresh bacon that you raised yourself.

Linda Stubbs said...

Hi, I am Home tonight from the college bakery.......I have been enjoying myself and thought I would come and say hello! Aren't they the cutest little piggies? Sounds like your children are going to learn lots........oh and by the way......your pic of you is just adorable!

It is quite cold tonight..........35 degrees out! Ready to go jump under our quilt on the bed to get warm. I bet my girlie hens are all huddled together!

Blessings sweet friend,
Linda
Prairie Flower Farm

Smilie girl said...

Those sweet piggies certainly did make me smile. Hope the kids have lots of fun and learn lots raising them. And as a fan of Footrot Flats, I think they are perfect names. Though I hope your Delores is a bit tamer.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin