Summer holiday's last yahoo!!!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

It was really a moment of madness, either that or ingenious, not sure which one when I told the children I would take them for a camping trip to end the holidays.  It actually was my parents fault ~ you see they had given Dave a book of camping spots in NSW & it whetted my appetite for a bit of camp site lazing! 

On a walk we enjoyed!
So with more planning than I was hoping & less planning than I should have done we set off last Tuesday for our very first Mummy ~ kiddo camping adventure armed only with this little camping guide, a GPS that wanted to take me in the opposite direction to what I was expecting ( although in hind-site I should really have listened to it )  & a car full of stuff that we hoped would come in useful!

I'd picked out a reserve at Wee Jasper ~ only a few hours away from home ( should the need arise to pack up & head home in the middle of the night).  As we drove around very windy roads along cliff edges with no guard rails to stop any cars plummeting ( I hate heights ~ I was getting sick & I was driving) I did wonder if maybe it had been a foolish idea after all.
Finally we arrived at this tiny place that is too small to be called a town ~ more of a map on the side of the road & I managed to find the solitary shop/pub/restaurant open that sold ice ( at rather an exorbitant rate, but I wasn't going back over that road just for a few dollars) & gave directions
.  
When we arrived at the reserve we were pleasantly surprised at how beautiful it was ~ & how very quiet.  We got the pick of the spots on the far point overlooking the river bank & decided to set up camp straight away.  
See the tent is straight & tables upright ~ LOL

With much wrangling the kids & I managed to put the tent up ~ we were so thankful we'd only taken the 6 man & not the 10 man we also have.  Zai also decided to put up his two man ( all by himself ) so that he & Ellie could sleep in that  ( although they ended up in with us the first night).  For people with very little camping experience we did a great job ~ the tent was straight & the tables didn't fall over ;)

A dog the twins fell in love with & wanted to take home ~ so did I  :)
Such a beautiful place ~ the river was crystal clear (albeit freezing cold), but if you gritted your teeth your legs quickly got numb enough to make you forget the temperature :)

We had a wonderful time ~ even though every single one of the air mattresses went down each night. We had so much fun playing in the river & floating down it on air mattresses & blow up boards ~ it was great floating over submerged logs & going down the tiny 'rapids' made by the numerous river stones! Wonderful memories were made! Dave even managed to join us for Australia day!



Just beautiful ~ this picture doesn't do justice!

 Next year when we go on our annual Mummy ~ kiddo camping trip (optimistic, aren't I), I need to remember one thing ~ to pack more snacks!  All that camping was making us very hungry & I am a minimalist when it comes to packing & only packed what I thought we would use! 

Crazy kiddos ~ take after their father ;)
 I am so glad I went out of my comfort zone to do this with our precious children  ~ having relaxed fun enjoying God's creation was a great way to spend the last week before school work begins for 2012!

What a wonderful way to wind-up  the holidays

Have a great day 


15 comments:

Mum-me said...

Give yourself a pat on the back from me. You are much braver than I! I won't go camping without HB to do the heavy work. Wee Jasper is such a beautiful spot. ..... next time have a look at Micalong Creek camping area which is only a little further along. It's also a gorgeous place. Now I'm getting homesick remembering all the places we used to visit when we lived in Canberra. Thanks for sharing your adventure - and don't forget those snacks next time. Kids + camping = more voracious appetite than usual.

Marsel said...

Good for you -- what a precious time that will always be a special memory for all of you!

Ruby Jean said...

Oh it all looks so VERY lovely... The scenery the camping the smiles.... EVERYTHING.... :)

Unknown said...

WOW!! I am SO SO IMPRESSED! WHat a great MOMMY!

Kimmie said...

You got the tent up, my my I am impressed. Looks like a lovely place to relax and enjoy your family. Did you get rest too?

I love you and your spirit...you warm my heart dear friend.

xoxo
Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 7 adopted

Smilie girl said...

Yes, good for you. And I'm sure good for the kids too! It looks like a beautiful spot and a great way to end the holidays.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Hi Renata,
I'm glad you could enjoy some precious time with your kids. Australia is a beautiful country. Some of your pics remind me of places here in California ;) :) Just gorgeous :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather ;)

Be Thou Exalted said...

Looks like fun! We plan to do some camping in the dry season.

Lady Violet said...

How brave you are:)
What a beautiful place to go camping.
Next time come to the "Pirineu"! Also a very beautiful place.

Christy said...

congrats Renata!! that's such a brave trip to undertake - and what a relaxing backdrop to enjoy it! Hope you and all the kids are well and enjoying the routine of school beginning. xoxo

Grandma said...

Looks like a lovely spot and glad you all had a wonderful time. Hope the darlings didn't waste away too much! Glad you were inspired by the book....(mind you, I didn't think you'd head off without Dave!)
I have a cousin (Ann) who lives at Wee Jasper. Trust all are enjoying school - our students start back next week for Orientation and then lectures the following week!
Give all the darlings a wonderful, hug - maybe I can join you on a camping trip sometime???????????
Love you all lots,
Mum xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unknown said...

WOW! What an adventure for all of you! Way to go, Mum!

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

Well done! I really admire you! I too have promised to Camp with the kidsBut....Here on our property!!! The souind of lazing along a river is very inticing! Wee Jasper was a area we drove through once on a scenic route from QLD!...Prettty place!

Haf Dozen Reasons....... said...

Wonderful memories for the children! Keep it up as your kids will treasure those moments with mom- away from her busy-ness at home!
I took the kids on many camping trips. Only 70 miles away to the river. Bike trails +beach +campfire=happy, exhausted, hungry kids!

Earthwand said...

This looks idyllic! What is your piece of music called? It's lovely :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin