Slow cooker - Chicken Curry

Friday, May 10, 2013

Sometimes recipes come together quite by accident & this is one of those.  It all started with a recipe that I was trying that was so terribly bland that I knew there was no way I would be able to get my family to partake.  We like good flavour to our meals & this one was severely lacking.  So I added this & that & whatever else I could find & thankfully wrote it all down . I am an inventive cook & rarely follow the recipe exactly, but often I forget just what I did should I hope to reproduce the meal again.    Therefore I am attempting to cultivate the habit of noting down exactly what I do.


This particular dish was given 'family favourite' status with all members enjoying it.  I thought I'd share it here in the hopes that someone else enjoys it or it encourages you to not be afraid to try a little inventive cooking of your own!!

*********************************


Slow cooker Chicken Curry 

Ingredients:
500 g chicken breast ( thickly sliced);
2 x garlic cloves ( crushed or finely diced);
1 onion ( chopped);
3 x mushrooms ( diced);
2 x carrots (sliced);
4 x potatoes ( cut );
1 x sweet potato ( cut);
Silverbeet leaves (torn)
1/2 cup corn kernals;
Any left over salad ingredients ( I often add to my casseroles anything that might be left over from a salad  such as lettuce, tomato, carrots, cucumbers etc.  These will all cook down & just add to the richness of the meal);
2 x cans diced tomatoes;
2 tsp curry powder (depending on how hot you like it add more or less);
600 ml chicken stock
300 ml coconut milk ( about 3/4 of a tin)
2 tbs cornflour (dissolved in water);
salt & pepper

Method:
*  Add first 11 ingredients (up to & including the canned tomatoes)  to your slow cooker.  
*  Mix curry powder & stock & pour over mix.
*  Cook in slow cooker until done ~ I use low & cook it for about 8 - 9 hours (I love having dinner prepared in the morning).
*  Add coconut milk & cornflour mixture.  Allow to thicken.  Season to taste. Add extra curry powder if you desire.
Serve with rice & some Bread Machine Sourdough !

********************************



I hope you enjoy this meal as much as we did.  



Have a wonderful Friday friends!
Blessings  



Blog Widget by LinkWithin