Our favourite muffin recipes!

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Here at Sunnyside we love to have delicious, tasty muffins, especially for breakfast. I mentioned this on a previous post & have subsequently had requests for our recipes.  We tend to cycle through the same 4 recipes & today I'll share 3 of them ( the fourth is still in the experimental stage ~ you know me & recipes).  I'm not going to even pretend these are the most nutritious breakfast foods nor are they the healthiest muffin varieties out there.  To increase their health I would recommend using whole-wheat flour, however it will change the texture so you may wish to adapt the recipe slightly ( more liquid I presume).    I tend to make small muffins as they are more friendly to our families' needs (I use paddy pans & don't fill them too much).  I have made a gluten free version of each muffin by simply substituting the plain flour with a gluten free flour mix ( I really like the Aldi mix).  It changes the texture somewhat, but still makes an enjoyable muffin.



Each Monday we cook two dozen muffins (1 x gf & 1 x normal) &  I put the excess into the freezer ( more to keep little hands out than to keep them fresh).  In the mornings we just pull a few from their icy home & pop them into the oven for a few minutes to defrost &  warm up whilst we begin our day.   Two dozen definitely doesn't last us all week even though they are generally consumed after a bowl of porridge or weetbix (or another more nutritious breakfast option).  However, breakfast muffins are a lovely treat & something we all enjoy!


*********************************************
MUFFIN RECIPES:
(each makes a dozen)

Apple Muffins Ingredients (a personal adaptation of a basic muffin recipe):
2 cups SR flour ( or 2 cups plain flour & 1tbs baking powder)
1/2 cup raw sugar
1 pinch salt
1 egg
3/4 cup apple sauce
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil ( I use olive)
1 apple (cored, peeled & cut into small pieces)
Topping (optional): Sprinkle with brown sugar

Chocolate Chip Muffin Ingredients ( adapted from the Moody Books by Sarah Maxwell):
2 cups SR flour (or 2 cups plain flour & 1 tbs baking powder)
1/2 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
3/4 cups chocolate chips
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup oil
Topping (optional): sprinkle with a mix of brown sugar & raw sugar

Orange & Poppy Seed Muffins Ingredients (recipe given me from a friend who blogs as Mum-me at My Aussie Half Dozen):
2 tsp finely grated orange zest
1/2 cup raw sugar
2 1/4 cups plain flour
5 tsp baking powder
2tbs poppy seeds
1/3 cup orange juice
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil

Method:
1. Preheat oven to a moderate temperature.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
3. In another bowl combine wet ingredients & mix well. 
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients & mix until just combined. (be careful not to over-mix muffins)
5. Spoon into Muffin cups until 2/3 full.
6.  Sprinkle toppings evenly over muffins.
7. Bake 15 to 20 mins until they are cooked through & are brown on top.
8. Best if served warm (or with cream if you are my husband & sons :)

Notes: Chocolate chip muffins are rather a stiff batter and are quite a dense muffin. 

**********************************************

I hope you enjoy these muffin recipes as much as we do:)


NOTE: For photograph purposes I made our weekly muffins early.  I did not have all the ingredients for the orange & poppy seed muffins so they are not photographed.  I was also lacking chocolate chips so instead used chocolate cut into chunks!

For other muffin recipes we enjoy ( although not for breakfast) please visit:

(one of my own recipes that is just so delicious)!

(These are so yummy!!!)

A photo of 2 double chocolate chip muffins baked in baba molds and wrapped in parchment paper and tied with string placed on white doilies and a pink, cloth tea towel.

(We do actually make these for breakfast  but only on Christmas morning ( it's tradition) ~ I get the batter ready the evening before & keep it in the fridge & then bake them to eat before we head out to church).

cherrymuffins.JPG


Have a lovely day friends


For more yummy recipes please visit my fellow crew mates:






Blog Widget by LinkWithin