Our curriculum choices 2015 ~ Science, History & Geography

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

 
This week the Virtual Curriculum Fair is focusing on Exploring Our World.  This includes History, Geography & Science.

 One of the reasons that we decided to register as homeschoolers with our state Board of Studies, rather than sit under the banner of a DE school, was because I really wanted to be able to teach Science & History to all the children using the same curriculum, at the same time.  Our children do their own levelled English & Maths, but when it comes to the other subjects I try to combine where possible.  This has worked well so far & I will continue as long as possible, although I cannot forsee it happening much past 8th grade.  For now, we enjoy learning Science & History together as a family (unfortunately the Geography learning outcomes are a little more intense for high school, so Zai will need to study that subject independently of the other three).



Our curriculum choice for Science is exactly the same as last year.  We have been so happy with God's Design for Science from Answers in Genesis.  It is a multi level Science curriculum that is from a Christian worldview.  We've been working our way through various topics and in 2015 we will continue to work through more topics.  As I was doing our planning for the next two years I came up with a schedule to cover an assortment of  topics to ensure we achieve all the learning outcomes for the three stages my children are in.  This meant that we will be changing topic every two terms.  We have been completing two lessons a week, however as I sit down & do my planning I may juggle the schedule to increase this to three.  I try to get through as much work in the first half of the year before the sports get too busy.

As I am away from home on yet another holiday, I will update with my proposed schedule in the future.


Our curriculum choice for History is quite different from last year.  This is because we have finished Australia...the Wide Brown Land for Me (which we loved & highly recommend).  As this was quite an intensive study on Australian history, I thought I would attempt to see if I could combine the primary school students in with Zai's study of Ancient Civilisations studies ( learning outcomes in stage four).  Since my proposed learning program was approved, I have to assume that is alright (the children have covered the majority of the learning outcomes for all three primary stages in their studies already).  We have been doing many visits of historical sites while on this myriad of holidays which also counts towards their Australian history learning outcomes.  Our curriculum choice for History in 2015 is Mystery of History Volume 1

My only concern with MOH is that Zai has read the complete text at least three times ( he reads it like a book). This means he is  very familiar with the topics studied.  It can't be helped though, he loves studying history and absorbs every book on it that he can find ( & shares all the facts endlessly....patience Renata, patience).    I have also purchased the worksheets to compliment the book.  This is a download & it just makes it easier for me to click and print rather than try to photocopy out of the large text.  I am also considering purchasing the art/craft component which would then be our art.  I just have to decide... ( nothing like last minute).  Maybe I will share what I decide next week when it is time for art.
We will continue to use A Child's Geography by Ann Voskamp for our primary school Geography.  This is a lovely program & is essentially more a 'living book' type curriculum.  We all curl up on the lounges as I read it to the children.  It is lovely & we enjoy learning this way. We are still on Volume one, but will move to Volume two this year. 

As for the high school Geography....I am actually after suggestions :)  - another decision to make in the next week.  I have been investigating a few options, but have not made a decision yet!



 
Homeschooling is such a wonderful blessing.  It has been one of the best decisions we have made for our family. It is such a joy to be able to teach our children & see them learning & progressing.  
Have a wonderful week friends
Blessings


P.S. Sorry about the terrible quality of the photos...I am on holidays & my camera's battery needs charging.  I had to use what was on my Instagram. 

To see more posts on this topic please visit the other Virtual Curriculum Fair members:

Exploring World History Through the Eyes of Scientists by Susan @ Homeschooling Hearts & Minds
Exploring Our World With Social Studies by Stacie @ Super Mommy to the Rescue
Relaxed Homeschooling: Science and Social Studies in the Early Elementary Years by Brittney @ Mom's Heart
Living History by Sarah @ Delivering Grace
Classically Influenced, Project Strong, Adaptable Middle School History by Christy @ Unexpected Homeschool
Primary Sources for Delight-Directed History by Susan @ The Every Day of Education
Watching History, or Using Video Courses for Social Studies by Debra @ Footprints in the Butter
Exploring our World: High School Studies of Ancient History, American Government and Economics by Laura @ Day by Day in Our World
History, Geography, and Worldview Lessons in Our Homeschool by Jennifer @ A Glimpse of Our Life
Our Curriculum Choices 2015 ~ Science, History & Geography by Renata @ Sunnyside Farm Fun
Our Favorites for History, Geography, and Science by Becky @ Milo & Oats
Globe Trotting by Lisa @ Golden Grasses
Around The World by Michele @ Family, Faith and Fridays
Bible-Based History Curriculum and Resources by Tauna @ Proverbial Homemaker
13 Living Book History Series for a Charlotte Mason Based Homeschool by Chelli @ The Planted Trees
Social Studies and Science in Our Classical / Charlotte Mason Homeschool by Sharra @ The Homeschool Marm
The Science Life by Laura @ Four Little Penguins
History, Geography Science for 2015 by Chareen @ Every Bed of Roses
History Social Studies and Science...VCF Week 3 by Denise @ Fullnest
Learning About our World and History by Joelle @ Homeschooling for His Glory
Taking the Mystery Out of History and Other Subjects Too With Our Favorite History Curriculum by Amy @ One Blessed Mamma
Blog Widget by LinkWithin